On the occasion of Ganesh Chaturthi I made some delicious fried modaks. They did not turn out as good as my mom would make but it was not bad for first timer. Check out this simple recipe.
for the outer covering or shell:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or maida (multi-purpose flour) or half and half both
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp warm oil
- water to knead the dough
for the inner filling:
- 1.5 cups grated or powdered jaggery
- 1.5 cups fresh grated fresh coconut or unsweetened dessicated coconut
- 1 or 2 tbsp roasted sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 or 1.5 tsp cardamom powder or crushed cardamom
- a pinch or two of grated nutmeg (optional)
preparing the covering
- with the ingredients mentioned for the outer covering, make a smooth dough.
- cover and keep the dough aside for 20-30 minutes.
preparing the filling:
- mix all the filling ingredients.
- cook and stir on a low or medium flame till the mixture is dry and cooked.
- keep aside to cool.
preparing & shaping the modaks:
- take a small ball from the dough.
- roll thinly in to a circle of about 3-4 inches diameter.
- gently take this circle on your palm.
- now add the filling in the center.
- pinch the edges one by one. pinch at least five edges.
- bring together all the pinched folds in the center.
- deep fry the modaks in medium hot oil or ghee till golden browned.
- drain on kitchen tissues.
Image Source: spiceupthecurry.com