Bhakri is a staple in Maharashtra and goes really well with non-vegetarian food. It is a healthy form of bread made of only rice flour and 1 drop of oil (if you wish) and is a great accompaniment with spicy chicken or mutton curry. If you are vegetarian, it goes well with Pithla (Maharashtrian dish), Misal or any spicy vegetable. I personally like it better than chapati. Rice is anyday easier to digest than wheat.
I recently learned this from my mom. There are two methods but the two are not very different. Let us begin.
- 1 cup water (to be boiled)
- 1 cup rice flour (can use the ready made ones from super market)
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt as per taste
- 5 tbsp ghee (optional)
Here 1 cup is approx. 250 ml. This will make 5 bhakris.
How to make: Method 1
- First take a big vessel and boil water. Keep gas on medium mode.
- Once water starts boiling reduce the heat mode to low flame. Now add flour and mix with a spoon/spatula. It should not be sticky. It will be dry and appear crumb-like. Hence, please follow the water:flour measure as 1:1.
- Switch off the gas. Cover the vessel with a lid for 5 mins.
- Shift the flour to another vessel because the original one will be very hot.
- Now add salt and start kneading the mixture with your hands. It will have to be kneaded while it is hot.
- Apply a little oil on your palms and keep kneading for 12-15 mins until dough becomes nice smooth. If the dough is slightly firm add little water.
- Shape them into medium round balls Dust some flour on the balls and roll them like phulka or chapati
- Take a non-stick frying pan keep on medium mode.
- Now lower the flame and fry the bhakris from both sides for a minute on each side.
- Now place these bhakris on low, direct fire with the help of tongs roast them from both sides.
- You may spread little ghee on both sides. I did not.
- Now place them in your casserole or serve them hot with chicken curry or vegetables.
- Soft and healthy rice bhakris are ready.
How to make: Method 2
- Follow all procedure from Method 1 except you can add the salt and oil in the water while it is boiling, instead of adding them later.
Hope you try this recipe and find it good. Do let me know how it turns out. Send pictures!!!