This is a Maharashtrian comfort food had with rice bhakris or any other bhakri or even chapatis. Only thing you need to chop is the onions and chilies.
- 1 cup Gram Flour / Besan
- Water 4 cups
- 3 tsp Oil
- 6 – Green Chillies
- 4-5 cloves of garlic (depending upon how much you like the flavour)
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- Corriandar leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
How to make?
- First take besan, add a little water and make a smooth paste. Keep rest of the water aside for using it later.
- Heat oil add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and onion, saute till onion becomes translucent.
- Add turmeric powder and garlic and green chilli paste, fry for a minute. (You may add chopped garlic, ginger and chilies, instead of paste. In that case, be careful how much red chili powder you put. It might become very spicy.)
- Add besan paste, mix and keep on adding small amount of water till you get right consistency. There is another method. You can add all the water and then boil it till it gets the consistency of paste.
- Add salt and garnish with coriander leaves.
Click here for another recipe for Pitla if you want to try.
Tip: While cooking you might think it is a little watery but it pulls in more water as you keep for longer hours. You might have to put a little more water and reheat it before serving.